Monday, June 29, 2015

Melon and Prosciutto Arugula Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Vinegar #SundaySupper



Do you like my new blog design? I'm so excited! I've been on the fence for ever about upgrading my old school template that I've had for years. Yet something nagged me every time I went to purchase a professional design about spending money on a hobby. Also, I have spent countless hours designing and editing and re editing and redesigning my {old}  blog. It was kind of my baby, granted it had the face only a mother could truly love.
























Alas, I came across an amazingly talented graphics and web designer named Dana Fox of Envye. Her multitude of web designs and graphics were just what I was looking for and at a price that wouldn't take money away from my children's college fund (although child number 1 kind of ruined the whole ride on my parents shoulders through his freshmen year of college while I slack off more than fungus on a rock deal for the rest of the darlings) but we won't talk about that.


There are still a few fun features that I am working on like a Photo Recipe Page and cuter side titles and organization but I'm pretty thrilled with my clean, updated look, however simple and late to the game it may be. Simple is exactly how I roll. Name of the blog Yo  {missing Breaking Bad......}


Onto picnicky goodness. I have to say this is probably without a doubt the crazy easiest and also most surprisingly delicious recipes I've ever made. I got up at an un-Godly hour this morning to go to work and saved a life via a total knee replacement and yet another by assisting in the removal of a bum gall bladder. Afterwards, I managed to drag myself to the grocery store in the 110F disgusting heat, talk myself out of going Cost Plus Market to purchase a melon baller, picked up a couple of melons and some prosciutto and then came home to take a 2 hour nap (don't judge) and still throw together this salad.



It's that simple.











Just in the nick of time too! I woke up tired and a wee bit cranky and if there had been a tub of ice cream in my freezer I might have resorted to having that for dinner (hiding in the closet from the kids of course).  5 ingredients later and I was savoring crisp, sweet melon, salty and slightly sinful prosciutto, peppery arugula and sweet, thick, real strawberry balsamic vinegar. I love me.


P.S. I get my oils and vinegars from a local shop called Olive Creations which is my idea of an adult version of the best candy shop in the world. I got this strawberry balsamic vinegar there which is perfect in summer salads, they have peach too. I got a maple balsamic vinegar during the fall season which I drizzled on ham and sweet potato casserole alike. I always have their basic olive oil on hand for salad dressings as well as infused oils like garlic, rosemary, lemon (for fish) and several others. I never knew how rancid store bought olive oil was or how sickly sweet and fake balsamic vinegars were until I happened upon the real thing.












This salad was the star at our dinner table tonight but it's really a tribute to Independence Day, Picnics, family and living life simply and gratefully. I'm so thrilled to be a part of the Sunday Supper Movement and all that it stands for. A big, virtual hug to Jane at Jane's Adventures in Dinner who is gracious enough to host this weeks Sunday Supper in honor of Independence Day and celebrating with our loved ones picnic style.









TIME     10 MINUTES           SERVES     10 as an appetizer


You Will Need


1 cantaloupe melon, cut into small square (or cute flower shapes :)
1 honeydew melon, cut into small square (or cute flower shapes :)
4 slices of prosciutto cut very thin by your deli counter person
4 big handfuls of baby arugula (much less bitter than regular arugula)
1/2 cup of red onion sliced thinly
drizzle with strawberry balsamic vinegar









Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our href="
http://pinterest.com/thesundaysupper/sundaysupper/">#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: href="http://sundaysuppermovement.com/forums/">Sunday Supper Movement.



Sunday Supper Movement







Enough Picnic Inspiration to last you a hundred picnics! Check out these talented bloggers for some perfect picnic food.





Here's the html:

Beverages
Appetizers
Mains
Sides
Salads
Sandwiches and Wraps
Sweets

No comments:

Post a Comment