Thursday, September 24, 2015

Guest Post from Dish by Trish: Grape Ambrosia Salad with Toasted Almonds


My long time blogging friend Trish, from Dish by Trish was kind enough to help me out with a guest post while we are getting all moved into our new home across the valley. This has proven to be quite the challenge with 4 kids and all of the junk we have accumulated over the years, and I'm not one to keep or collect anything so it confounds me how much crap we have! Time to simplify things! Nothing like moving to make yourself get ultra organized, super fast!


Welcome Trish who is a holistic health coach, dietitian and cooking instructor. Her site features meatless meals that are out of this world. She was recently featured on Dr. Oz and won the calorie cutting contest! Congrats Trish!






Ever year, my family would gather at my godparents' house on Christmas Eve. Aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, the whole gang. I distinctly remember cracking walnuts and opening roasted chestnuts in their dim living room next to the warm, decorated fireplace. My sisters and I would congregate in my godmother's walk-in closet and try on her furs, jewelry and high heels in secret, and then walk around her bedroom impersonating older female family members.




And I'll never forget that fluffy, heavenly bowl of sweetness sitting on the kitchen table that my godmother prepared every year. This marshmallowy gooey mess (aka ambrosia) always put on a smile on my face.




This recipe is a tribute to my dear godmother, Marie.




It's a modern, healthier rendition of ambrosia. It's not gooey or as fluffy as the traditional ambrosia but it's no less delicious. Hope you like it.














A couple of notes:

  • If you're using frozen pineapples, be sure to defrost them in advance. Also, chop the pineapple chunks into smaller pieces. I don't recommend pulsing them in a food processor (like I did) because it draws too much water out of them.
  • I added both red and green grapes for optimal color because the dish can lack color. I recommend adding 3/4 cup green grapes and 1/4 cup red grapes. The red grapes can be a bit astringent which is why I added less.
  • If you'd like, you can use sour cream instead of Greek yogurt, but I don't recommend using just plain yogurt due to its higher water content.
  • I tried using honey and the taste was just not the same. Feel free to use other sweeteners but if you prefer using honey I recommend halving it with another sweetener because the honey flavor can be overpowering.




Grape Ambrosia with Toasted Almonds


16 ounces frozen (unsweetened) pineapple chunks, thawed and chopped

3/4 cup flaked coconut, unsweetened

1 cup fresh seedless grapes, halved or quartered

2/3 cup Greek yogurt, nonfat

3 tablespoons sugar

1 ounce sliced almonds, toasted (optional)




In a large bowl, combine pineapples, coconut and grapes. Add yogurt and sugar and mix well. Chill for 30 minutes before serving. Top with toasted almonds and drizzle with honey, if needed.




Serves 5-6.





Nutrition Facts: Calories 261; Fat 5g; Sat Fat 5g; Chol 0mg; Sodium 57mg; Carb 54g; Fiber 2g; Protein 3g.







No comments:

Post a Comment