Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Hot and Sour Soup with Shrimp



Nothing makes you feel better on a cold and crummy day than a bowl of piping hot soup. O.K. maybe a hug helps too, but soup is the best. Take this hot and sour soup for instance, tons of good for you veggies and a sweet and tangy broth you'll want to slurp up every last drop of. 










Sorry about the crummy pic's guys. I've been feeling icky and all I had in me was a handful of half hearted shots. I'll tell you though I'm SO glad I saw this thing coming and made this soup yesterday so I could have some today in between naps. O.K., my mommy made it for me. You're never too old for your mom to make you a bowl of home made soup right?




I almost always make home made chicken and veggies soup with tons of fresh herbs when I'm feeling  sick but something about this sweet and sour one I saw on Eats Well With Others really caught my eye. The broth is spot on with fresh ginger, a bit of tamari and a splash of rice vinegar and I love all of the healthy veggies in here. If this doesn't snap me out of my head cold, nothing will. 


For an extra kick in the head, sprinkle in a few drops of Sirachi Hot Sauce! That'll clear ya up!





recipe adapted from Eats Well With Others




TIME        20 MINUTES           SERVES       6


Ingredients


3 tbsp sesame or peanut oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and sliced very thinly
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 cup diced carrots
½ savoy cabbage, coarsely chopped
1 lb medium size shrimp, peeled, deveined
2½ quarts water or vegetable broth
½ cup tamari sauce
⅓ cup Organic rice vinegar
2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground black pepper
½ cup cold water
¼ cup cornstarch
1 cup shitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced thinly
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
2 cups bok choy, chopped
14 oz canned diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
Hot Pepper Flakes to taste


Instructions


Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add in the onions, ginger, and chiles and cook for a few minutes, stirring. Add in the sweet potato, carrots and cabbage and bok choy. Cover and cook for about 3 minutes, or until cabbage starts to wilt. Add in the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.

In the meantime, whisk together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, salt, pepper, cold water, and cornstarch in a separate bowl. Set aside.

Add the mushrooms and bell peppers to the pot. Simmer until the veggies are tender, about 8 minutes. Add in the soy sauce mixture and stir until the soup thickens, about 8 minutes. Add in the tomatoes and bring the soup back to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in the sesame oil.



No comments:

Post a Comment